What is the role?
We are looking for an experienced, Mid-to-Senior UI Designer to join our friendly and talented team on a permanent basis.
You'll be joining an established team of creatives, including experienced UX practitioners, UI and digital designers, and branding experts. As a key part of that team, you'll be delivering impactful design work for a diverse range of clients and industry sectors, as well as for our own internal R&D or marketing initiatives.
As a UI designer at Cyber-Duck, you'll be responsible for guiding the creative vision on projects, converting client briefs and brands into considered, responsive, and accessible user interfaces, and you'll have the autonomy to be able to adapt your approach to solve different challenges.
You'll have a strong eye for typography, space, hierarchy, and flow, and will be able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with UX and content designers, as well as developers, to create compelling user experiences that demonstrate obvious care and attention to your craft. You'll also understand and be able to convey a range of design principles and theories to explain the rationale behind your work.
Naturally, a key part of the role of a designer is being a good communicator. Therefore, you'll need to be able to effectively communicate your vision and strategy, collaborating both with our team and clients closely, whether it's facilitating workshop sessions or presenting your work. A key part of this is being able to adapt your communication style appropriately when dealing with different levels of stakeholder; being equally adept at working with peers as well as senior level stakeholders.
Ultimately, you'll be a champion for good design, advocating for best practices and high standards with both clients and other team members alike.
We value people from all backgrounds and provide a relaxed, creative and supportive environment to enable you to do your best work.
Where is it based?
We're flexible about location, but primarily you'll be based in one of our 2 offices, depending on what is most suitable for you and us.
- Farringdon, London
- Elstree, Hertfordshire
What you'll do
- Develop strong creative directions and design solutions that meet clients' and their users' needs
- Define new brand identities, as well as translate established brand guidelines into great digital experiences
- Facilitate collaborative workshops and design studios with clients and peers
- Communicate design vision clearly and articulately whether presenting or in writing
- Oversee and lead creative work on projects
- Coach and mentor fellow team members
What are we looking for?
We're looking for applicants with skills and experience in the following areas.
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrable experience in designing digital experiences that are well-crafted, highly usable, aesthetically pleasing, and have proven to be successful
- Confident at presenting in a compelling and persuasive manner
- Good knowledge of accessibility standards and guidelines
- Adept at working with clients and stakeholders of all levels, and setting/managing expectations accordingly
- Experienced in facilitating workshops or design studios
- Proficient with tools such as Sketch, Adobe CS, and Keynote
- Good knowledge of human-centred design and usability heuristics and other relevant design theories/principles, and able to apply them within design work
- Excellent organisational skills and capable of managing time according to priorities
- Passion for keeping up-to-date with tools, trends, techniques and keeping a pulse on our industry
- Strong written communication skills
Desirable skills and experience
- A design or communications-related degree
- Experience speaking about design at conferences or meetups
- Agency experience
- Good understanding of HTML/CSS
- Motion design or animation experience
What are the benefits?
- A competitive salary depending on skills and experience
- Family-friendly and flexible working hours and the ability to work remotely from time to time
- 30 days annual leave as standard (including bank holidays), along with 1 extra day for every year of service
- Pension contributions
- Private health insurance package
- Life insurance
- Budget for training and conferences to help you develop
- Support to grow in areas you're interested in, whether it's becoming a public speaker, or creating your own side-projects
- A laptop and a (discretional) mobile phone
- EMI share option scheme
- A welcoming and supportive work environment surrounded by a diverse team of creative and talented people
As well as these universal benefits, we have a generous pot of flexible benefits that you can pick and choose from:
- Gym membership
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car leasing scheme
- Medical insurance upgrades
- Additional pension contributions
- Additional holidays
- Mental health and wellbeing support
- Discounts on everything from shopping to cinema
- Access to independent financial advice
Oh, and our coffee's pretty good too.
Sound good? How to apply...
Simply send us a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us why you'd be a great fit for this role and a link to your CV and your portfolio if you have one.
What are the next steps?
- We'll aim to respond to you within 1 week of contact.
- The interview process starts with an informal phone call, before a more formal interview process.
We look forward to hearing from you.
We host annual parties to bring our family of clients and Ducks together. No party is complete without our photo booth!
Who are we and what do we value?
Over the past 15 years, Cyber-Duck has built up a reputation and won awards for delivering exceptional work for clients, and as part of our R&D labs. The reason for this reputation is our fantastic and diverse team of 55 passionate experts.
We run the popular meetup The Digital Pond, speak at and attend conferences all around the world, and share our knowledge through the UX Companion app.
We are and have always been 100% independently owned. We have an EMI share option scheme which we offer to all team members.
The things we really value in our team are:
- Excellence at the core - Consistently delivering to a high standard
- Adaptive to change - Calm and positive in the face of adversity, and open to new challenges
- Relentless - Dependable and willing to go the extra mile
- Selfless - Value your impact on the bigger picture above all
If you think you fit the role of a Mid-to-Senior UI Designer, we would love you to join our friendly team.